More information has come to light about the FBI’s bungled counterintelligence investigation into the origin of the infamous anti-Trump dossier.
The evidence surfaced just before the trial of Igor Danchenko, a Russian lawyer accused of misleading the FBI. Danchenko is the target of an investigation headed by special prosecutor John Durham.
The additional details were made public this week by Durham prosecutor Michael Keilty. He said the FBI incorrectly concluded that Danchenko departed the United States, rather than having found nothing on him.
FBI leadership incessantly lied to Congress, DOJ, FISA court and Trump, claiming they had “no control” over Danchenko when he was in fact their paid informant. This is worse than any lie told by anyone in the entire Russiagate saga. Shame on Durham for not pursuing FBI gangsters. https://t.co/vgcd3hNDGj
— Hans Mahncke (@HansMahncke) September 30, 2022
Since the FBI later needed to verify the validity of the dossier paid by the Democrats, and since there was widespread concern within the agency that it was Russian misinformation, Keilty contended the results of the counterintelligence inquiry were significant.
The Durham prosecutor disclosed the agents in Baltimore who reportedly led the counterintelligence inquiry and the handler agent for Danchenko had a great deal of trouble communicating with one another.
Danchenko’s handler “would swear he was under a misimpression,” Keilty claimed, referring to why the probe was terminated.
Keilty further claimed a Baltimore FBI agent would testify he considered the Danchenko counterintelligence probe to be “extremely critical,” but this assessment was not conveyed effectively to Danchenko’s handler.
To summarise his case, the prosecution said the FBI was worried about Russian misinformation in the dossier.
They were worried Danchenko lied about the sources of the assertions in the dossier and the truth might have brought the FBI back to the original counterintelligence inquiry.
While under intense questioning from Judge Anthony Trenga, Keilty explained the results of the counterintelligence investigation would show how significant the lies Danchenko told the FBI about the dossier were.
Trenga is considering whether or not to admit testimony from the previous counterintelligence inquiry.
Durham previously mentioned how the FBI conducted a counterintelligence investigation into Danchenko between 2009 and 2011.
He disclosed this month that the bureau bungled it when the inquiry into the defendant was shut in 2010, due to the FBI’s mistaken belief that Danchenko left the country.
Evidence from that investigation, which found ties between the defendant and with the Russian government, is something the special counsel intends to use at the false statements trial scheduled to begin in October.
Durham believes Danchenko lied to the FBI regarding a phone contact he made with Sergei Millian, an American national born in Belarus.
The Steele source claimed he informed him of a conspiracy of collusion between Trump and the Russians.
FBI, with DOJ, approval told Congressional leadership that Steele reporting was "derived primarily from a Russian-based Sub-Source" and that "FBI has no control over the Russian-based Sub-Source or any of the sub-sources used by the Russian-based Sub-Source".
— Stephen McIntyre (@ClimateAudit) September 30, 2022
Per the indictment filed by Durham in November 2021, Danchenko also allegedly submitted a bogus claim about Trump political consultant Paul Manafort to Hillary Clinton’s friend, Chuck Dolan.
Dolan spent several years, including 2016, working for Russian firms and the Russian government. Before jury selection begins on October 11, Trenga will make a decision in the case.This article appeared in The Political Globe and has been published here with permission.